Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bad Hair Day

This kid has some hair. 


People ask me all the time: Where did he get those curls from? Papa and I have vaguely wavy hair, if you're being generous. I think they are implying the curls must have come from the mailman.


The truth is that I can't think of anyone on either side of the family, as far back as I can remember and as far out as I can think, who has or had curly hair. Not like this.

I did a little research into it a couple of years ago (to have a way to convince people he does not belong to the mailman), and here's what I found:
There are two versions of the hair type gene, curly (C) and straight (s). Hair type is an interesting case of something called incomplete dominance. What this means is that with hair type, if you have one of each version of the gene, you get a mix of the two or wavy hair. So for hair type, CC gives curly, Cs gives wavy and ss gives straight hair. (http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask45)

So... Papa gave him a C, and I gave him a C, and he gets: CC.

And here's just what that looks like. 








This is what his hair looked like for Awana last night.  
The sweet, elderly gentlemen who listens to his verses complimented him on this hair style. He asked: What did you do to it? Did you do something different?

His response? Nah, I haven't washed it or combed it for two days.

Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment