Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Science Friday - Owls

We can be a little nerdy sometimes. Maybe a lot of times. I'll let you decide.

One of my dearest friends has a blog based on nerdiness. Can't get better than that.

We were talking this summer about science for the kiddos, and we decided to Science Fridays together, taking a cue from NPR.

First up was owls.
Owls from art class.


 We started learning about owl last week by researching. Curly is writing a report, and we are all working on lapbooks together. 




We also are working on a lab report. We got this template from The Crafty Classroom to use in learning the scientific method. 


The kids each came up with their own question, did some research, and made their question testable. We knew we would be working with owl pellets with the Nerdys (here is her take on the owl pellets; she does a great job of showing resources), so I steered their questions in that direction. After the pellets, we are compiling our data, analyzing it, and creating a report.

Last Friday night we went to the Nerdys' house to dissect pellets with her scientist husband. Poor Little Bear cried when he discovered a skull inside his pellet. I liked seeing how all the different kids approached the pellets in different ways. 







If you had told me fifteen years ago that I would be spending my Friday nights dissecting owl pellets, I never would have believed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment