Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Wonders

I woke up grumpy yesterday, and it didn't get any better. I had had a sleepover with the kids the night before. Two out of three kids talk in their sleep.

I should have had a caffeine fix. I should have prayed. I should have found some way to sleep for a few minutes instead of growling at everyone.

But I didn't.

By mid-afternoon, I was a full- fledged bear.

I picked up my paint brush and supplies and starting painting some doors. Someone before us had painted them with a flat finish. Sigh.

I turned on some praise music.



Slowly, slowly, my heart changed. I began to pray while I painted. I was grumbling to God about my trivial complaints. So many trivial complaints that were making my heart heavy. Focusing only on myself in a small moment of time. Losing all perspective.

As I worshiped, my heart began to lighten as I focused on Someone greater than myself.

And then a friend sent an email to get together to study the Word. We've been reading through Joshua together. I had messed up our scheduled time, and she responded with: Let's do it tonight!


Okay, Lord. I see what you're saying.

In Joshua 3, Joshua tells them that tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among them.

Wonders.

According to my massive Strong's, wonders was originally pala meaning: deal marvelously, make marvelous, bring extraordinary.

Who doesn't want some pala in their life?

And then, as we talked about the wonders God was doing, we also talked about reverence. Knowing WHO God is. And this song came to her.


Beautiful.

"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?" (Job 38:4)


"...who enclosed the sea with doors when, bursting forth, it went out from the womb; when I made a cloud its garment and thick darkness its swaddling band..." (Job 38:8-9)


"Who has cleft a channel for the flood, or a way for the thunderbolt, to bring rain on a land without people, on a desert without a man in it..." (Job 38: 25-26)



Wonders.



No comments:

Post a Comment